01 July 2011

Stakeout

30 June 2011

A certain part of our group (i.e. Pete) claimed to have sighted a Blue Jay in our neighbor's backyard last Saturday.  "NO WAY!" I exclaimed since it is considered a rare species in our region.  Later in the week, he'd get a glimpse of the elusive bird twice and he'd summon me each time.  Unsuccessful on my part to catch it on both occasions, I dismissed the sighting as a figment of Pete's imagination (translation: I was sour graping).

Two days ago, however, while I was checking on my Pineapple Sage and Chives, it darted from our neighbors' backyard on our left to ours and on to our neighbors' on our right.  I froze in disbelief.

Today, I staked out in the patio while I tried to finish a Here-and-Now Collection from the Harmony Library - Jonathan Franzen's Freedom (Walter Berglund, one of the protagonists, was now on a crusade to save the Cerulean Warbler).  My camera was handy, strategically positioned for a sudden need to snap a photograph.  No luck this time but I was content nevertheless for I was not alone in my endeavor.

Meadowlark entertaining me during my stakeout.  It also gives a sterling performance every morning with the dawn chorus.

Steller's Jay ... my only Jay sighting so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment