03 October 2014

The Bear Essentials


Taken on 01 October 2014 in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee.

We were driving on Cades Cove Loop, on our way to Abrams Falls when the car in front of us suddenly stopped.  Pete scanned the area as he was sure that there was a wildlife sighting.  The passenger rolled down her window and started snapping away but I still couldn’t see anything.  After a few seconds, a black bear was crossing the road.  I desperately tried to take a good photo but, unfortunately, I wasn’t in the most desirable position.  The bear headed to the woods and I continued eyeing it, still hoping to snap a picture.  It disappeared and when I looked in front of the car there were two playful cubs on the road and they quickly scurried after their mom.  I was enthralled and tranced (no exaggeration here).  Everything happened too fast that I had no chance of immortalizing the experience.  When I recovered, I kept on kicking myself (I still do).  Anyway, it’s alright.  I could relive my first bear sighting and the heartwarming image in my mind whenever I want to (yeah, yeah … photographs would’ve been way cooler!).


No comments:

Post a Comment