11 June 2011

Fallen Fledgling

According to Wild Bird Watching, it is inevitable for a bird-watcher to come across a baby bird that has fallen off a nest.  I had my baptism of fire last night when Pete discovered a baby House Finch in our front yard on his way back from collecting the mail.   He immediately searched for the nest in the vicinity but his efforts proved to be an exercise in futility.  He then called me and what I witnessed was a gut-wrenching scene for it seemed helpless as I was.




On one hand, I wanted to rush to its aid (I think Pete had to physically restrain me from doing so).  On the other, I didn’t want to mess with Mother Nature.  I felt a little better when I saw Mother House Finch perched on our Purple Robe tree looking down on her little one.  So we let them be but not until after checking on them a couple of times more before finally assuring ourselves that it was the right decision. 

I galloped upstairs to search the worldwide web and came across National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association’s website.  The baby bird is, in fact, a fledgling (as opposed to a nestling) and it is a “normal behavior [for it] to be hopping on the ground; parents are still feeding it.”  It should be left alone as long as it’s safe from cats, dogs and people.

I heaved a sigh of relief and went to bed happy as a lark.

No comments:

Post a Comment